It’s that magical time of year where we’ll see if all of our dreams will come true! No, Christmas hasn’t been moved to July, something better has come with the annual San Diego Comic-Con, which kicks off this week, July 8-12! If you’re lucky enough to get to go, you’ll see cool new toys, comic books, exclusive previews of movies and TV shows, and big panels where the stars and writers of your favorite TV series and films get together to chat and have fan-run Q&A’s. It’s a pretty awesome time if you can get in, but with a huge guest list limiting the tickets, things can get awful cramped in teeny tiny Downtown San Diego, so how can you survive?
1. Drink plenty of water and energy drinks – This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’ll be sorry if you forget it. It gets very hot inside the Convention Center, and walking up to it can get heated as well, considering you have to park miles away (unless you camp out the night before or get a hotel nearby). You’ll need to have some sort of energy drink with copious amounts of chemicals you can’t pronounce that produce tons of caffeine. This will counteract all of your fellow Comic-Con attendees who, no matter how much of this stuff you drink, will always seem to have more cranking through their system. At the very least, you’ll be vigilant of robust bodies slamming into you as they march to the nearest stand with the newest vinyl figures.
2. A Captain America Shield – This isn’t just because it’s a Marvel or a comic book thing just so you can blend in. The convention center gets crowded, and the best way to get through it is to mow down the nerds surrounding you, hence get a Captain America Shield. Nobody will see it coming, as they will think you are simply just a Captain America fan looking forward to the upcoming Civil War film. Maybe you actually are? All the more reason to use this shield to get to that panel in Hall H on time!
3. Uber – You’ll have to take less water with you if simply Uber everywhere you go. You’re probably saying to yourself, “That will just make it more expensive paying somebody else a reasonable fee to drive me place.” Well, you’re dead wrong! You have to pay for parking in Downtown San Diego, and nobody wants to do that.
4. Ninja skills – Photo bombing is just fun.
5. Be curious like a Catwoman (or man) – Just go in there looking forward to having a good time checking out things you know you love, but also be open to seeing new stuff. As well as the things we already know we all love getting the red carpet treatment at Comic-Con, there are plenty of new things just waiting to be discovered there. So go in looking to have a good time!
So, there you have it, folks! Just some good tips on how to survive Comic-Con! Be sure to keep it tuned here at YH.com for all of our video and editorial coverage, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for live updates! Happy Conning!