- Published on Friday, April 13 2012
- Written by Anysha Panesar
As we prepare to honor the Queen of England’s Diamond Jubilee, celebrating 60 years on the throne, let's take a look back at the style of Queen Elizabeth II and how she has influenced fashion trends that will never die!
With the a wardrobe full of bright block colors, pearl necklaces, headscarves, and plaid skirts, the Queen has always managed to dress to perfection for the public eye! It is no wonder international model Agyness Deyn named the Queen as her fashion inspiration, and Dolce & Gabbana is planning on basing an entire collection around her signature looks. Her Royal Majesty was even named one of the world's most glamourous women by Vogue in 2008.
We take a look back at the Queen's Top 5 looks of all time!
1. Diamonds & Fur - The perfect combination for any woman who wants to feel like a Queen! In 1961, a stunning, young Queen Elizabeth II was pictured wearing a timeless sparkling silver gown and a fur coat leaving the Indian Embassy. This look was so classic and beautiful it can never be labeled "unfashionable".
2. Country Style - In 1982, the Queen showed how she managed to maintain her royal image whilst dressed at a casual event. HRH was photographed in a signature headscarf and earthy tones with a pop of color in her shirt! Queen Elizabeth II proved that you don’t need to be wearing a tiara and gown to look glamorous!
3. Stylish in All Conditions - During a typical British summer rain shower at the closing ceremony of the Commonwealth Games at the City of Manchester Stadium, the Queen stood ready to give her speech while wearing a camel-colored cape, holding her own bubble-shaped umbrella. This just proved that, no matter the weather, the Queen knows how to look like a Queen should!
4. Never Too Much Bling for a Queen - Wearing an extravagant silver hat adorned with a light pink feather and one of her signature fur coats topped off with pristine white gloves, the Queen looked as perfect as ever whilst tossing a puck out on the ice at a hockey match while on a royal tour of Slovakia.
5. A Ray of Royal Sunshine - In a canary yellow wool crepe dress, matching coat, and a female version of a top hat, Queen Elizabeth II was certainly a ray of sunshine at the Royal Wedding of her grandson William last year! Finishing off the outfit with the Queen Mary’s True Lover’s knot brooch, the Queen looked every part the fashionable grandmother of the future monarch.
- Anysha Panesar, YH Staff