- Published on Monday, January 14 2013
- Written by Felix Kay
Remember Destiny's Child? Sure you do, but let me refresh your memory anyway. Once upon a time (late-'90s to mid-'00s), there was a group of three fierce independent women: Beyoncé, Kelly Rowland, and Michelle Williams. Individually, they were (and are) all very talented and have achieved magnificent careers. But together, these three women provided an essential, provocative, and dynamic pop culture soundtrack that carried through the changing of the centuries.
Over the years, female groups have come and gone. Some of them better than others (TLC comes to mind), but it was Destiny's Child that became one of the most commercially successful and aesthetically influential pop music groups of all time. What made them so successful was how the group connected an old school show business performance ethic with new school 21st century technology and fashion.
Together, Destiny’s Child transformed the way the world listened to R&B, dance, and pop music. Their mixture of emotionally focused vocals, soulful gospel-inflected harmonies, and unforgettable melodies, broke down the barriers between pop genres. They created an inimitable look and sound while projecting a positive image, tied in with spiritual music and personal empowerment that spoke directly to a deep and loyal fan base. Between 1997 and 2005, they reigned as the world's top-selling female vocal group achieving combined sales of more than 60 million records!
Now, nearly a decade later (and just in time for Valentine’s Day), the trio is back with a new compilation album entitled Love Songs (track list below) that will not only showcase their command of contemporary heart-pumping ballads, but will feature "Nuclear", the first new Destiny's Child recording since 2004 (listen to a preview here).
Destinty's Child - Love Songs, Track Listing
1. "Cater 2 U" (2004 - Destiny Fulfilled)
2. "Killing Time" (1998 - Destiny's Child)
3. "Second Nature" (1998 - Destiny's Child)
4. "Heaven" (2002 - Simply Deep)
5. "Now That She's Gone" (1999 - The Writing's On The Wall)
6. "Brown Eyes" (2001 - Survivor)
7. "If" (2004 - Destiny Fulfilled)
8. "Emotion" (2001 - Survivor)
9. "If You Leave" (1999 - The Writing's On The Wall)
10. "TShirt" (2004 - Destiny Fulfilled)
11. "Temptation" (1999 - The Writing's On The Wall)
12. "Say My Name" (2002 - This Is The Remix)
13. "Love" (2004 - Destiny Fulfilled)
Along with the release of their new album (dropping on January 29), Destiny’s Child is planning to perform the new track (along with some classic hits) during this year’s Superbowl half-time show on February 3. I know it’s not “their” song, but I think it would be pretty fun to see them perform “All the Single Ladies” together, simply for the dance if not anything else.
- Felix Kay, YH Staff