- Published on Wednesday, August 01 2012
- Written by Katie Marzullo
Bond is back!
Sony has just released the first trailer for, Skyfall, the 23rd installment of the James Bond franchise, a movie which many have been speculating might be the last for the suave superspy… or, at least, the last for Daniel Craig. But given Hollywood’s recent penchant for sequels, reboots, and reimaginings, I find that highly unlikely.
At any rate, last or not, the buzz is that Skyfall will be definitely be the BEST in the series to date! (Rumors also abound that Adele will be taking on the theme song.) So, what can we expect from 007’s latest adventures? Here are 5 things I learned from watching the trailer:
1. James Bond is immortal. Or a zombie… No, too handsome to be a zombie… A daywalking vampire? Yes, that must be it.
2. M is old and senile. Seems Bond’s lady-boss (Judi Dench) made a few boo-boos, but it remains to be seen if she did this on purpose or if she’s just lost her touch because she’s 107 years old.
3. Ralph Fiennes, is that you?? After a decade of noselessness, thanks to his turn as the villainous Voldemort in the Harry Potter series, plus other creepy heavily-made up appearances in the likes of Red Dragon and Clash of the Titans, I very nearly forgot what Ralph Fiennes looked like! What happened to the handsome, charming chap we were first introduced to in Quiz Show? We see a glimmer of him again here (as a possible replacement for M?), and it feels oh-so good.
4. Q has the Benjamin Button syndrome. The head of the research and development division of the British Secret Service (i.e.: the peeps who come up with all those rad gadgets) has gone from being a dapper and distinguished older gentleman to, basically, your company’s I.T. guy. Ben Whishaw brandishes the 17th letter of the alphabet as Bond’s nerdy-but-cute quartermaster, hooking him up with some great cutting-edge toys!
5. Javier Bardem has a thing for weird hair. Yes, it seems whenever the Oscar winner steps into a bad guy role these days, he also steps into an unfortunate wig. This time, it’s a little blonde number reminiscent of a Ken doll. Honestly, I’ll have to go back and watch the trailer again to figure out what his deal is, because I was so distracted by his hair on the first go.
And there you have it! All you need to know about Skyfall, which lands in theatres on November 9. In case you want more info, though, feel free to check out the trailer below:
- Katie Marzullo, YH Staff Editor
Create the Title Sequence for A&E's "Bates Motel"!
'Independence Day' Sequel(s)? Roland Emmerich Sez Yes!!