+the news

Articles

Lena Dunham: 'I won't be working with male directors again'

Lena Dunham is looking forward to stepping behind the camera to write and direct roles for women after her hit show Girls wraps next year (17).

The creator and star of the cult show, who is a leading feminist, has no interest in taking roles in movies and other projects directed by men once Girls ends.


"I don't have a case of great man syndrome," she said at the Power Women Breakfast in New York on Thursday (09Jun16). "The be all and end all for me wouldn't be, like, if a dude called me up and said, 'It's finally your time'. It sounds so tiring to get bossed around by a dude for six months, it's almost inconceivable.


"I just want to write and direct and create opportunities for other women."


Lena feels she will "never have an experience like" she has had working on her show ever again, but she is passionate about moving on to new things geared towards women.


"There is such a dearth of roles for women, I would like to be the person that brings more of those," she continued.


Lena has been a vocal advocate of women's issues and on Wednesday (08Jun16), she dedicated her new public service announcement (PSA) to the victim of the Stanford University sexual assault drama, which hit the headlines earlier this week (begs06Jun16).


The 30-year-old actress appears alongside her Girls co-stars Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, and Zosia Mamet in the public service ad, which encourages sexual assault victims to come forward - and others to listen.


"Why is our default reaction as a society to disbelieve, or to silence, or to shame?" the actresses say in the video. "What if we chose to turn toward those in need, instead of away?"


Lena posted a link to the video on her Twitter page and referenced the victim in the case of former Stanford swimmer Brock Allen Turner, who was convicted on three counts of sexual assault this week, but only sentenced to just six months in jail.


"I dedicate this to the brave survivor in the Stanford case who has given so much to change the conversation," she wrote.


The survivor of the assault released a statement to KTVU in San Francisco via her attorney following the sentencing.


"I remain anonymous, yes to protect my identity," it read. "But it is also a statement, that all of these people are fighting for someone they don't know. That's the beauty of it. I don't need labels, categories, to prove I am worthy of respect, to prove that I should be listened to. I am coming out to you as simply a woman wanting to be heard. Yes there is plenty more I'd like to tell you about me. For now, I am every woman."