The puppy Dwayne Johnson recently saved from his swimming pool has died.
The action man had to dive in fully clothed and rescue French bulldog Brutus over Labor Day weekend at the beginning of September (15) after the pup fell into his pool and sank to the bottom.
But Johnson couldn't help the pooch after he ate a poisonous mushroom.
Sharing his heartbreak in a post on Instagram on Tuesday (29Sep15), the movie star wrote: "Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed.
"At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace."
The Fast & Furious star added, "As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.
"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members."
Johnson also thanked the veterinarians who cared for Brutus in his final hours.
He closed out his post, which also featured a photo of him holding the little dog, by stating, "We'll always love you Brutus... and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute."